The College Sport Research Institute’s mission is to:
Encourage and support interdisciplinary and inter-university collaborative college-sport research, serve as a research consortium for college-sport researchers from across the United States, and disseminate college-sport research results to academics, college-sport practitioners, and the general public.
CSRI provides opportunities for independent, organized and focused cross-disciplinary research regarding college sport in the United States. Specifically, CSRI is committed to serving as a national clearinghouse for college sports research, building research capacity – both internally and externally – that increases the ability of students, faculty, and college-sport practitioners to perform research into issues in college sport.
- Investigate issues on college sport and conduct cooperative, collaborative research with affiliated faculty and universities;
- Provide opportunities for faculty to develop research activities,
- Encourage the presentation of research results to colleagues and the general public through hosting a national conference and publishing a peer-reviewed academic journal focused on issues in college sport;
In support of the institute’s mission, the College Sport Research Institute has the following Goals:
- Create public awareness of socio-cultural, economic, and political issues in college sport.
- Provide a forum for open discussion of relevant issues within the college-sport community.
- Build relationships within local, regional and national communities to generate funding for independent critical research into college sport.
- Generate local, regional, and national awareness of the College Sport Research Institute and The University of South Carolina in Columbia as a leader in college-sport research.
- Educate students, scholars, athletic administrators, college athletes, coaches, and the general public on college-sport issues.